Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
As you age, your needs change dramatically. These changes can affect everything from the frequency with which you drive, to the interior design of your home. The focus of your life changes with age, and your surroundings often need to change to keep pace.
There is nothing to worry about if you need to update your home to help with the changes that you are experiencing. Being able to live comfortably is an essential part of aging gracefully.
If you have realized that it’s time to make some adjustments to your living arrangements and update your home so you can age safely, read on to learn more!
Remove Dangerous Flooring Surfaces
This can be a big factor for safety. Getting rid of any flooring that provides a trip hazard, or that is prone to being slippery is very important to prevent falls. Harder flooring choices are just not as cozy as carpeting anyhow, and exchanging your hardwood floors for carpeting can make your home warmer and cozier.
Invest in a Shower Bench
A shower bench can be a big help to your bathing plans as you start to age. Showers are slippery, and it can be hard to reach for items without sliding on the bottom of the shower. You can eliminate all of these risks by adding a comfortable shower bench or chair to your bathing area.
Make Stairs Less Slippery
Let’s face it, stairs get the best of all of us sometimes! Hardwood stairs can be slippery for anyone to navigate, no matter your age. If you want to make sure that your stairs are safe, add non-slip tread to each step, or you can choose to have carpeting put over your hardwood stairs.
You can make stairs even safer by adding or upgrading hand railings to hold up to daily use. It is necessary to be able to trust your railings if you are going to need to support yourself on them as your go up and down the stairs.
Add Some Automation
Home automation can be a really fun way to make your home safe as you age. Being able to track and change the temperature in your home through your cell phone, or being able to request that your devices play music without having to get up can be a big help. You can also program smart lights which will turn on and off at the touch of a remote control or a button on a phone app.
Aging Gracefully is Easy With a Few Updates To Your Home
Being willing to adjust to the changing times in your life is easy if you are willing to make some simple upgrades to your home. Being comfortable in your house is very important, and these adjustments can make sure that you never feel unsafe or uncomfortable in your home.
Making your home safe for the aging process is all about making things easier, and this list of suggestions will make your home enjoyable and safe for years to come!
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Best Nutrition Apps