Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
According to a recent study, two-thirds of beneficiaries are underutilizing Medicare’s preventative services. Are you one of them?
Before 2011, most services, including preventive physician visits and screenings, required some form of cost-sharing by beneficiaries. However, that changed in 2011 after the passing of the Affordable Care Act in 2010. The Act expanded Medicare to include many preventative services at no cost to the beneficiary.
This was a welcome change that more enrollees need to learn about!
What preventive services are covered?
More than two dozen preventative services are covered under Medicare for little to no cost to the beneficiary. Medicare's preventive services guide contains a complete list of eligible services. A few of the most utilized services include:
Cancer screenings – Breast, cervical, colorectal, lung, and prostate cancer screenings are all included as part of Medicare’s preventative services (specific tests may require cost co-sharing).
Diabetes screenings – Diabetes screenings and medical prevention programs are available at no cost. At the same time, self-management training is available for 20% of the Medicare-approved amount after meeting the Part B deductible.
Preventative shots – Medicare beneficiaries can receive yearly preventative flu, pneumococcal, and Hepatitis B.
Wellness visits – After joining Medicare, each enrollee is provided a “Welcome to Medicare Wellness Visit,” which includes the following:
- Give you a simple vision test.
- Check your height, weight, and blood pressure.
- Review your potential risk for depression and your level of safety.
- Review your potential risk for substance use disorder and refer you for treatment.
- Record your medical and social history (like opioid prescription, alcohol or tobacco use, diet, and activity level).
- Offer to talk with you about creating advance directives. Advance directives are legal documents that allow you to put in writing what kind of health care you would want if you were too ill to speak for yourself.
The welcome visit must be completed within the first twelve (12) months of having Medicare Part B. After the first year, beneficiaries receive an annual routine wellness visit.
Additional services – Beneficiaries may also be eligible for smoking cessation programs, obesity screening and counseling, glaucoma testing, and testing for sexually transmitted diseases.
Being aware of the coverages afforded under Medicare is essential. Take a moment to review the Medicare & You Handbook you receive each year for more information and the preventive services guide available online. Most importantly, speak with your physician about recommended preventative services you may be eligible for as a Medicare enrollee.
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Best Nutrition Apps