Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
Does anything scream “I’m on a diet” more than eating a salad for lunch? Probably not. While salads are innately healthy, too many of us have been stuck eating unexciting salads in the hopes of shedding a few pounds.
But it doesn’t have to be this way!
Mixing up our daily intake of greens can be a great way to keep our interest in eating healthy. After all, if we like what we are consuming, it is much easier to for a healthy lifestyle versus relying on a “diet.”
One way to keep salads fun and interesting is by changing up the ingredients. We’ve put together a matrix of ingredients you can choose from to never again have the same salad twice!
Step #1 – The Base
Every salad begins with a base, whether that includes leafy greens or grains. Begin your salad build with a healthy foundation by choosing one of the following:
- Crispy greens: Boston, romaine, or iceberg lettuce
- Leafy greens: Arugula, radicchio, or baby kale
- Grains: Quinoa, farro, freekeh, or millet
- Slaw: Green, purple, savoy, or Napa cabbage
Step #2 – Add Proteins
Next, add a source of sustained energy in the form of proteins. There are a variety of options to really liven up your salad including:
- Chicken or eggs
- Tempah or tofu
- Crab, salmon, shrimp, or tuna
- Beans, chickpeas, or lentils
Step #3 – Time for Veggies
Hardly any dietitian puts restrictions on how many vegetables to consume, so go ahead, mix-and-match your favorites and make sure to add lots of color:
- Cauliflower, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts
- Radishes, squash, or sweet potatoes
- Beans, onions, peppers, or peas
- Beets, carrots, fennel bulb, or parsnips
Step #4 – Sweeten with Fruit
The difference between fruits and vegetables has to do with what part of the plant it comes from. But for most of us, we think of fruits as a sweeter alternative to veggies:
- Avocado, apples, plums, or pear
- Blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries
- Cantaloupe, mangos, or melons
- Orange or grapefruit
- Tomatoes (yes, they are a fruit!)
Step #5 – Dress It Up
This is where an otherwise healthy salad can go south. Be cautious of the type and amount of dressing you choose to add.
- Balsamic or vinaigrette
- French, Italian, or Russian
- Blue cheese, ranch, or sweet maple
Step #6 – Get Crunchy
Like any other meal, a salad should not only be tasty, but add a variety of textures. Adding just a few crunchy toppings will add a little excitement to every bite:
- Almonds, pecans, walnuts
- Peanuts (not actually a nut)
- Chickpeas, edamame, or roasted quinoa
Step #7 - Say Cheese
Cheese can make your salad fun or sophisticated. But, just like salad dressings, be careful of adding too much. There is an endless array of cheeses to choose from, these are just a few:
- Cheddar, feta, or Parmesan
- Blue or goat
- Brie, Havarti, mozzarella, or Munster
Healthy salads don’t have to be boring. With so many options to choose from, there is an infinite number of ingredient combinations to keep your commitment to health interesting every day!
- Mastering the Mind: Techniques for Better Memory and Cognitive Function
- The Art of Productive Procrastination: How to Make the Most of Downtime
- Eating for Energy: Foods that Boost Your Stamina and Productivity
- How to enjoy and celebrate chilly, gloomy days
- Best Dog Breeds that Suit Your Needs
- DIY Delights: Creative Projects for Seniors
- Coping with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- How to Trim Down Hidden Costs of Flying
- How to Experience Positive Aging (8 Tips)
- How much should you actually have in savings?
- How to Build Sustainable Wealth
- How to Maintain Our Body
- Enhancing Resilience as We Age
- The Body After 60: Overcoming Barriers to Exercise
- The best herbs to grow for beginners
- Foods you had no idea you could freeze
- Is celebrating your 100th birthday no longer a dream?
- Medicare and Medicaid: Dual eligibility
- Summer Workouts for Your Dose of Vitamin D
- Music and Your Wellbeing
- How to Dispose of Unused Medications
- Smart Home Systems: Promoting a Comfortable Environment for Seniors
- Aging and Our Body’s Ability to Heal Itself
- Keeping Health Insurance After a Layoff (Copy)
- Waking Up to the Impact of Insomnia
- What experts say about raising the retirement age
- Sharing the Road with Cyclists
- Buying Life Insurance for an Elderly Parent?
- Living Your Best Life After 60
- Buying Health Insurance: A Millennial’s Guide
- Self-Love Ideas for Valentine’s Day
- Life Without Clutter
- Set Yourself Up for Success with Your Fitness Routine
- Winter Hydration – Do I Need It?
- Why Do I Keep Breaking My New Year's Resolutions?
- Closing Out the Year with a Smile!
- How to Enjoy a Long Layover
- 6 Cold Weather Safety Tips
- 10 Tips for Managing Cholesterol Levels
- How Much Life Insurance Do You Need Right Now?
- 3 Top Tips for Better Posture
- Building Bone Density for Seniors
- Living Outside Your Comfort Zone in Retirement
- 3 Top Habits that Lead to a Happy Life After Retirement
- Should You Insure Your Gifts?
- Everything You Need to Know When Retiring Under 65
- 7 Benefits of Slow Travel
- Utilizing Medicare Preventative Services
- Keeping Your Health Insurance Affordable
- 7 Tips to Weather Challenging Periods in Your Life
- What is a Variable Annuity? 4 Key Details You Should Know
- 4 of the Best Ways to Stay Healthy this Summer
- How to Prevent Sun Damage to Your Eyes
- 3 Tips for Safer Grilling
- Tips to Avoid Stress Eating
- Common Exercise Pains – How to Work Past Them and When to Call for Help
- Signs Your Identity Has Been Stolen (and what to do about it)
- Know the Benefits of Walking
- Do Brain Food Supplements Really Work?
- Ways You Can Spend Less on Gas
- 4 Tips for a Less Stressful Summer
- Veteran and Medicare Benefits Work Together
- What are the Safest States From Natural Disasters?
- 7 Myths About Your Back Pain
- 5 Foods that Will Help Keep Your Mind Healthy
- Don’t Throw Away Those Used Coffee Grounds
- How to Spot Government Imposters
- Happiness Through Healthy Food
- 5 Step Checklist to Choosing a Health Insurance Plan
- 5 Creative Spring Décor Ideas
- 10 Ways to Maintain Healthy Joints
- 3 Incredible Healthcare Smart Technologies Coming Your Way
- Do I Need a Long-Term Care Plan?
- Senior Diet: To Meat or Not to Meat
- How to Take Care of Your Personal Intangible Assets
- Dream All-Inclusive Trips to Escape the Cold
- Safety Tips for Driving in Winter
- Giving and Forgiving
- Things We Are Grateful for This Year
- How to Host a Successful Virtual Holiday Party
- Ben Franklin: Father of Modern Insurance
- Who Invented Insurance Anyway?
- The Art of Aging Well
- Insure What? Celebrity Body Parts Insured
- Using HSAs In Your Retirement Planning
- 6 Strange Insurance Policies You Can Buy
- Mistakes You can Make When Exercising at Home
- Forget Salad Recipes, Try a Salad “Matrix”
- Will My Life Insurance Policy Cover Me If Something Happens While Traveling?
- I’ve Been Denied a Life Insurance Policy. Now What?
- Bucket List Ideas and Why It’s Important
- Getting Fit Before the Medical Exam
- The Basics of Insurance APIs
- 8 Gas Savings Tips During Summer
- How to Stay Hydrated During the Summer Season
- Safety Tips for Outdoor Barbecues
- What You Don’t Know About Senior Fitness
- The Last Guide to Chair Yoga You’ll Ever Need
- Sleep Care is the New Self-Care
- Tips for Making Dinnertime Special
- 7 Ways to Improve the Quality of Life of Seniors You Care About
- Ways to Get the Best Health Care
- Adapt Your Home for Safe Mobility
- Why Gardening is Good for Your Health
- Carbon Monoxide Concerns in the Home
- How to Save on Electricity for Free
- Why You Should be Grateful for the Year 2020
- Whole or Term Life Insurance
- Does a Stay-at-Home Spouse Need Life Insurance?
- Preventing Heart Health Issues
- Life Insurance for Your Newlywed Child
- Exercises for a Sedentary Lifestyle
- Post Pandemic Travel Tips
- Remote Activities You Can Do with Your Grandkids
- Benefits of Grateful Living
- Power Foods that Lift the Spirit
- How to Live Without Regrets
- Reducing Stress Through Music
- Best Nutrition Apps